Law Department

Please Be Advised

If you wish to meet with a member of the law department staff, please contact our office via the numbers below to schedule an appointment with a member of our staff.


Main Office (Admin/Claims/Contracts) 413-787-6085                                           
Code Enforcement 413-886-5206
License Commission 413-787-6140
Litigation  413-787-6149


Based on volume and employee schedules, some appointments might have to be scheduled at a later date.  We ask for everyone's continued patience and understanding.

Please be aware:

  • Individuals must check in at designated entry points to confirm that they have their appointment
  • Individuals will also be required to have their temperature checked before entering - anyone, employee or visitor, with a temperature at or above 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit will not be allowed entry and will be asked to leave
  • Individuals must wear face coverings when entering municipal buildings
    • Exceptions for those under the age of 2 years, or those who have a health condition that prevents wearing a mask, or where a mask interferes with their breathing
  • Upon entry to all municipal buildings, individuals must follow the pedestrian traffic flow markers
  • Individuals must stand and wait at the designated "Safe Standing Zone" marker at the city office they are scheduled to visit
    • City employee will call the individual forward for them to conduct their city related business.  This is necessary to limit the number of people within an office and to encourage social distancing
  • Elevator use, where appropriate, will be restricted to one (1) individual at a time, unless they are accompanied by a family or household member

Mayor Sarno Announces Phase Two of Adult Use Marijuana Establishment Applications

Click here to view Mayor Sarno's press release and to view the Phase Two RFP 21-107

Apply for a Temporary Expansion of Premises onto Outdoor Space for Outdoor Serving

Per Governor Baker's Phase II Guidelines, restaurants can now apply for a Temporary Outdoor Serving License that will allow service of food and alcoholic beverages on their approved outdoor space. Please read through the application, guidelines and instructions carefully to ensure that all rules and regulations are adhered to. This temporary license application will be reviewed and approved at the local level by the License Commission.  Should you have any questions, please contact us at (413)787-6140 or via email

Please be advised that applications for the temporary license should be submitted via email at If you do not have access to email, please contact our office to make an appointment to drop off the application.


Click here for the Temporary Extension of Licensed Premises Onto Outdoor Space Application.

The City of Springfield Departments are here to help you along the process. Please contact us with any questions.

About the Law Department

The Law Department provides advice on legal matters to all city departments, boards, and commissions, including the Mayor, the City Council, and the School Committee. It represents the city and its employees, officers, departments, boards, and commissions. The Law Department approves the form of all contracts issued by the city. It comprises a City Solicitor, who heads the department, three Deputy City Solicitors, twelve full-time Associate City Solicitors, a part-time Assistant City Solicitor, and administrative staff, all of whom who are appointed by the mayor.

The Law Department does not provide legal advice or services for citizens.  Please go to the "Legal Resources" section for a links to Lawyer Referral resources.

Filing a Claim against the City

To file a claim for injury or property damage against the City of Springfield you must print the claim form, completely fill it out and provide supporting information or documents to support your claim. Claim forms should be submitted to the Law Department which will investigate your claim. Claims received after the period for filling has passed will not be processed.

The Law Department represents the City of Springfield, its officers and employees and is therefore unable to provide legal advice to potential claimants.

City of Springfield Claim Form

Page last updated:  Tuesday, November 16, 2021 03:17 pm