The service location on the bill is incorrect.

The City uses the service location information from the Assessor's property database. 

File the Trash Fee Change/Dispute Form to advise the City of the correct service location.  Attach a current proof of ownership, such as a copy of the deed or utility bills.  This information will be shared with the Assessor to be verified for future billings.

Page last updated:  Wednesday, August 7, 2013 04:01 pm